M & H voicing

Bob Anderson fndango@azstarnet.com
Sun, 01 Mar 1998 16:36:52 -0700

About James Grebe's comments: I think James is drawing a little more
fire than necessary. But my own observations about dealer "prepping",
here in the backwaters of Tucson, is that it is extremely minimal. That
could be the experience of some other techs who are talking about all
the work they could do on pianos voicingwise after delivery.

That is not to say that there aren't any dealers who do excellent
prepping. They just aren't operating in my burg. Factory preparation
varies from mfr. to mfr., of course, but factory prep is, I believe,
superficial, compared to what I would call "custom work."

Sometimes I think both the customers and the techs put too much burden
on the factory vis-a-vis "voicing." Just consider this scenario: the
customer buys a piano after having heard it demonstrated in the showroom
and perhaps trying it out personally. When the piano is delivered, the
customer is disappointed in the tone quality. The piano sits on a tile
floor in a room full of hard reflective surfaces. Back in the showroom
even the walls were carpeted, to say nothing of the distractions of such
a public environment. It is not amazing that the piano might benefit
from additional voicing. Then there are the finer nuances, such as
string levelling, etc. I personally like to let this kind of work hang
fire until the tuning is more stable after the strings have stretched
awhile.

I could ramble on, but I just want to make the point that custom tone
regulation in the home after delivery should be an expected routine for
a quality piano and a discriminating customer. Often the technician can
train the customer to appreciate the value of this routine. After all,
the customer is not privy to the rather esoteric business of tone
regulation. If the tech can show the customer some normal necessities of
piano maintenance, it smooths the way for a higher quality care of the
piano than might otherwise occur.

I'll leave it up to others to fight out how much of this should be the
responsibility of the dealer selling the piano.

Bob Anderson
Tucson, AZ