Hammers

Greg Newell gnewell@EN.COM
Sun, 01 Mar 98 23:02:46

Dear List,
	I would like to ask the opinion of those who wish to reply.
I just took in an old Steinway studio action for hammer replacement
and some repinning.  It seems to have the larger cold pressed
hammers.  What would you use to replace them?  If I understand
correctly all I can get nowadays is hot pressed.  Is this true?  Will
I have weight change considerations?  Can any of you recommend a
certain brand?  I know this is a duplication of a recent topic on the
list but there may be significant differences because of this being
an upright not a grand.  The owner called the factory and Steinway
says this is a 1885 model.  I'm surprised at the overall good
condition of the reat of the action.  Most of the felts are in great
shape and the buckskin is too!  The only felt that seemed warn was
the club like hammers.  These babies were nothing short of flat and
square  on the strike surface.  I wonder why such wear on the hammers
but so little everywhere else.  Any opinions ,input,  suggestions? I
really value all your help!  Thanks in advance!
					Greg Newell
Greg and Mary Ellen Newell
Greg's Piano Forte`
Lakewood, Ohio 44107