Jon Page's Taut Line

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 23:44:07 -0800 (PST)

I said,
>>They can buy it from Pianotek,

>Susan and list,
>	Why not just make your own?  I'm all for supporting the
>inventor but really, it's just two lengths of house type electrical
>wire screwed into the action bracket and string stretched in between.
> Hardly worth even the shipping!
>					Greg
>
>P.S. yes I had to buy one to find out!  I then quickly placed open
>hand firmly against forhead uttering ... of course!
>
>Greg and Mary Ellen Newell
>Greg's Piano Forte`
>Lakewood, Ohio 44107
>gnewell@en.com

Dear Greg,

Yes, you had to buy one to find out, and Jon does deserve to get
_something_ for bringing the idea to our attention. He also is
selling it for such a low price that it isn't even worth our time
to gather the modest ingredients to make our own. I would say it
was vinyl coated clothesline rather than electrical wire, and the
string he has chosen for the line seems better than what I would
have found.

Answering Ed Tomlinson's assertion that it's LaRoy Edward's Taut Line,
Jon would have to be the one to say whether he heard of the idea,
or invented it independently, or heard of the idea but improved on it.
In California, one person mentioned someone using "the same" idea,
only they used pieces of bare coat hanger, and tied the line to them.
Same basic idea, but definitely an inferior expression of it. Either
way, unlike the other ideas of LaRoy that Ed mentioned, the Taut Line
didn't reach our awareness until Jon worked it up and made it available.
So, with due respect to LaRoy for all the ideas, tools, and teaching he has
given us (not to forget the great string covers), I'll still call it Jon
Page's Taut Line, and recommend that people buy it at the tiny (almost
microscopic)
price.

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"My life is already compicated enough, without trying to introduce
organization into it."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant