Benches and Keytops -Reply

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 16:09:53 -0800

Dale and list: Since the Ivorite material is porous, you can use almost
anything.  Many opt for a toluene based glue, like wilhold, etc., but my
personal preference is PVCE, which in addition to not smelling like a
chemistry class gone wrong, it is white, and you don't have to locate the
key perfectly first try.  These keys are "blanks", that is, the are only rough
cut to shape, and require trimming, sanding and polishing.  Not the easiest
key job in the world, but they are beautiful, and feel like the real thing.
Steve

>>> <foxpiano@juno.com> 03/04/98 07:16pm >>>
David,

It's not bone or ivory,  but just for your edification and future
reference,  Yamaha does sell their Ivorite key top material.  It's pricey
for manmade material at a little over $200/set.  I haven't personally
used it yet and am not sure of the proper adhesive.  Perhaps Steve
Pearson could comment on the veracity of my statement and give some
application guidelines.  (No pressure Steve.)

Dale Fox
"Still an RPT and wondering if it will always be so."

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998 07:34:35 -0700 (MST) dcbrown@MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
(David C.
Brown) writes:
>List and all
>
>I wonder if ya'll would be kind enought on comment on two things for
>me. I
>have a client with a recently purchased vintage BB Mason. They
>purchased it
>with the intent of future restoration. My questions are- What of the
>quality of Poeschel artist benches for home use and the availability
>of
>alternate keytop materials to plastic or pyralin, specifically bone. I
>re-read the excellent July 95 Journal on ivory history, and saw Don
>Bunchs'
>article regarding bone. Does this material wear as well as ivory? Some
>colleagues have expressed reservations about its' hardness. Perhaps
>Anne or
>Steven could comment about its' use in historical instruments. The
>possibility exists for key replacement, so perhaps Kluge or Bob
>Marinelli
>offer these options as well. I am just too lazy too check with them
>first,
>and thought I would tap the vast knowledge of the list!:)
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated
>
>Many thanks in advance
>

>It's your attitude
>Not your aptitude
>That gives you
>Altitude
>
>David C. Brown RPT
>School of Music
>The University of Texas at Austin
>dcbrown@mail.utexas.edu

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]