Dampp-Chaser threads

Bob Anderson fndango@azstarnet.com
Sun, 08 Mar 1998 14:49:34 -0700

To Jim Coleman, I ask: What prompted you to use a "wet" humidistat? Were
you trying to achieve the result you got? I haven't used either the
"wet" or "dry" humidistat yet. I would be interested to hear of any
positive results from anyone.

To David Pitsch: In my experience, the Dampp-Chaser system is too small
to control the humidity in an entire room. If you think the system can
affect the action in a grand, how does that work? It seems that the
conditioned air would either have to travel from under the rim into the
air of the room and from there finally into the action. Or it would have
to travel through the holes in the soundboard and through the gap beween
the SB and the pinblock.

In my experience, I've noticed tighter tuning pins in a vertical piano
after adding a Dampp-Chaser system. I've never noticed any improvement
in a grand. Can anyone else add testimony pro or con?

Bob Anderson,
Tucson, Az