Epoxy vs CA

DGPEAKE DGPEAKE@aol.com
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 23:34:07 EST

<<
 Dear Glen, list --

 I've heard the same thing about CA glue. I've never noticed any
 joints coming apart, but when one is gluing (for instance) action
 parts together, which hopefully will be in use for decades, this
 problem is certainly something to consider.

I did a pinblock repair on an upright using CA glue.  The problem is that the
separation was very deep. I did not have a large enough bottle of the thick CA
glue needed and even after drilling though the pin block from the back of the
piano, installing stove bolts and nuts then cinching them down, I heard the
glue starting to separatate.

I now have an Eilers upright in my shop that I am rebuilding and found a
pinblock separation.  The original scews that held the plate was only about 3"
but the separation was at 4".  With 20 pounds of tension, is it surprising to
find the separation?

For this repair I used the West Epoxy system  because I have a lot of it (we
have a dealer in our area) and it cures very solid.  I drilled through,
installed a washers, stove bolts and nuts at the plate area, then an acorn
nuts on top for decoration.  This looked especially good after I sprayed the
plate.

Since it is in my shop, I can monitor the repair and keep filling the crack
until the exoxy is flush with the top of the pinblock.

Food for thought.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR