Keytop question - help

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 21:33:15 -0500

>As an alternative, what other materials have some of you used? I have
>traditionally used plain or yellowed plastic. I have never really found
>a source for the so-called "textured" plastics that simulate the ivory
>feel. Who has these and about what would the run?

One little trick I learned from Jack Krefting a few years back you may want
to consider.  Use #0000 steel wool on a sanding block and "satinize" the
plastic keytops.  With the sharps removed and the whites on the frame,
light, lengthwise sanding knocks off the gloss and gives the keys a
texture.  I was sceptical but players love it.  It looks good and feels
great.  I use this method often and the customer is always happy.  It is
cheap and quick and if your customer is not happy with it you can move on
to other materials.

chris

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (614) 593-1656    fax# (614) 593-1429