Tunelab ver 2.

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 20:59:29 -0500

The problem with TuneLab97, with the capability to measure inharmonicity,
and the graphic editor is that it is possible to measure and display a LOT
of information, and the information, once displayed, makes painfully clear
the compromises involved in the tuning of any piano.  After LOTS of
practice, it takes me about 15 minutes to generate a pretty good tuning.
Once the tuning is done, it is, of course, stored and can be used as
necessary at any time in the future.

I begin by measuring inharmonicity.  I have found that measuring every A,
C, and E up to A4, and then every A from A4 to A7 will give me all the
information generally required.  Then, using the graphic display, starting
from A4, I match single octaves 2/1 and double octaves 4/1 up to C8, giving
the most weight to the single octaves.  Then I match from A4 down into the
bass.  I have found the best matches are generally 4/2 single octaves and
8/2 double octaves for notes tuned to the second partial, and 8/4 single,
12/3 double for notes tuned to higher partials.  TuneLab makes extremely
clear the compromises involved in tuning the bass, but it does not provide
any clue as to which compromise is the best.  It's good to have a good ear
and/or some experience to help make these choices.  Once the matchups are
made, and the stretch curve is determined and smoothed, I apply any
temperament if other than ET is to be used, and then begin tuning.  The
actual tuning is just like with any other device, except I find that the
frequency spectrum display is very helpful in the higher treble,
particularly for pianos that are difficult to mute.

If anyone is interested, I would be willing to develop a tuning from any
good set of inharmonicity measurements you may be able to provide.  I will
benefit from having another set of measurements to add to my library, and
you will get a tuning file for your piano.

Frank Weston