Anyone have experience with smoke damaged pianos?

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Wed, 18 Mar 98 11:00:36 PST

Hello Friends,
   I just received a call from one of my commercial accounts because of a
fire that broke out last weekend.  The fire was contained in the kitchen
however there was heavy smoke damage throughout the building, affecting the
piano.  I inspected the piano today and luckily no water or foam was
sprayed near the piano.   However, there is a fresh coat of surfact rust on
the strings that was not present last week when I had tuned the piano last.
 The insurance adjuster said that it is due to the acidity in the smoke
that will cause rust.
   The customer want us to clean the piano and get rid of the smoke smell.
Is there anyone out there with expertise in this area.
  I'm concerned about the following:
Will strings be able to be simply cleaned or will the need to be replaced?
Since we deal with rust all the time with regards to salt damage ( South
Florida on the coast) we use several techniques that seem to be effective
with containing rust.  My concerns are with this element of acidity, as the
insurance person had stated, in the smoke.  Will it have a further effect
on the strings if the strings are simply cleaned.  Or am I better off
restringing, of which I would rather do.
About cleaning action parts, besides the obvious?
What solutions and materials reverse the effect of smoke?
I look foward to your replys..

Tom Servinsky, RPT
South Florida

PS  Florida State Seminar, MAY 1-3, 98  at the Palm Beach Gardens Marriot
Hotel.
Great classes, great weather, at off-season rates.
EMail for more information:  tompiano@gate.net or hsrosen@emi.net