historical et (Long)

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 22:30:28 -0600

Susan
	You stated the crux of the matter, but you forgot to capitalize.
THE EVOLUTION OF PIANOS AND TUNING MADE IT  POSSIBLE.
	The key word is EVOLUTION.  First class piano makers are trying to make
their instruments better.  That is the number one reason pianos are no
longer made like they were for Beethoven, Schubert, Chopin.
	Tuning has been and is evolving.  Why do you think there is the endeavor
to improve electronic tuning aids?  Look at the break throughs that
occured in the years after the discovery and computations of partials that
lead to the establishment of tuning strictly by beat rates, and the
definition of ET by beat rates. OK these principles have been with us at
least since 1885.  Just as Les says, about as long as the modern Concert
Grand has been around.
	The process of evolution goes on. Where do we want to go from  here?

Richard Moody