just a moment of your time

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 10:06:45 EST

Phil wrote:

<<..it was mentioned here on this list that I
NOT do 3-4 tunings on it to bring it to pitch..rather just pull it up
and fine tune it like I would normally with a pitch-correction..well,
I'm glad I disagreed with ALL of you because what I have is a piano that
is stable at 440>snip>
>>I was afraid that bringing it
up to pitch all at once would cause something like the plate or the
soundboard to give way from all the added tension..I was told that those
scenarios shouldn't happen and that I should just "go for it"..i'm glad
I didn't and listen to my gut and did it my way..both the customer and
the technician are better off for it!<<

Greetings,
   I am not sure I understand.   How do you know that a fast pitch raise,
followed by a careful tuning, would not have done the same thing?  I have
raised a piano 300 cents in 2 hours, and it sounded fine.  There was a lot of
stuff that needed cleaning up a month later, but that is the nature of the
wire bending in new places, ( which it will be doing because of the amount of
movement required to make this great a change in pitch!).
   When you say,
>>"earlier this week I put the final tuning on a Cunningham Player Upright
that >>was at one time over 300 cents flat"
 Does this mean that you did 4 tunings, stretched out over a month?  or an
afternoon?  or what?
Wondering,
Ed Foote