removing and installing piano plates

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 22:27:15 EST

In a message dated 1/1/99 7:35:17 AM Pacific Standard Time, Wimblees@AOL.COM
writes:

<<
 << I would like to set up an elegant method of using a lift that will bring
  the plate up safely and in a controlled manner, and can then be easily
  transported away from the piano and set down on my tilting truck.  I know
  that a block and tackle system could be devised with rails for transport,
  but I am more interested in something portable, like a small engine
  hoist.  Keeping the lift controlled is something that I am looking for
  help with, so as to minimize scarring the rim, particularly on re-entry!

  Any helpful ideas are welcomed!

  Happy New Year!

  Mark Potter >>

I have a chain hoist that I hooked to the header of our garage shop where we
used to live.  It was the only place strong enough and the problem was that it
need to be a non rainy day because part of the piano was outside when pulling
the plate.  Now that we have moved on to more property, I am negotiating to
build a larger shop.  As an option to the chain hoist, there is a good tool
supplier that sells a cherry picker hoist that folds for tight storage.  It
seems like a good idea since I do not pull plates every day and would rather
not stumble over it.

Dave Peake, RPT
Oregon City, OR
Portland Chapter