Replacing sharps

kam544@earthlink.net kam544@earthlink.net
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 18:37:29 -0600

>...I have been told to just knock off or pry the old sharps off,
>but when I did, splinters from the key came off with the sharps...
>LANCE LAFARGUE, RPT

It's the technique in how you knock the old sharps off, Lance.  Use an
anvil, or  something similar, as the base, turn the key upside down, and
rap the front part of the black sharp against the anvil.  The majority pop
right off, some take many strokes, and some refuse to cooperate.  Start
with a gentle rap until you develop a feel for what works and what don't
(doesn't).

Learned this one from someone on the list.  Didn't believe it 'til I tried
it.  Now it's the main method I use.

Keith McGavern
kam544@earthlink.net
Registered Piano Technician