Yamaha electric grand

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Sat, 09 Jan 1999 00:01:13 -0800

My first experience with such a beast.

The "Piano"

I have a client with a Yamaha electric grand, it has
wippens, shanks.Hammers  appears
to be plastic, impregnated with graphite or like substance.

It is a grand action, adjustable as such, but the hammers
strike a solid barrier,, a metal tab attatched low on the shank
enters a switch triggering the velocity sensitive electronics.

The problem

Client says touch too light.
She is a graduate of piano--B.Mus.
Although she realizes what she has, wants
to know if I can improve touch.

What she really wants is more control.

Another tech. wants to just stick lead
in the keys, She knew me from university,
and requested I take a look:

SO---- here's what I found.

Downweight  55 grams.
Upweight  40 grams..
I get 11-12 swings off all tested hammers
Keys are very tight on balance rail
Hammer level is a low, very little after touch.
let off, drop, backchecking is very good.

I'm considering doing the following:

1)Repin to about 5-6 swings, increase friction
in action.
2)Ease balance rail whole, keys, reduce
resistance in keys.
3) Raise sharps 1 mm, and corresponding dip,
to make hand work a little harder, creating
illusion of firmer touch.
4) After this is done, add weight to key if
she at that point wants me to.

Questions

Anyone out there can give factory specs for these machines.

Any experiences with these machines you want to share,
and am I missing something in this picture.

                                           Dave Renaud
                                           RPT
                                           Hull, Quebec
                                           Canada