A key to good piano hygiene: Musty and dusty

GFi5607775@AOL.COM GFi5607775@AOL.COM
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 06:53:10 EST

pianotech@ptg.org

Hygiene:

You are absolutely right, I was just outside and remembered the one of biggest
source of moisture absorption and "critter" growth in pianos.

I just finished a piano in a palace, that had a "rodent" problem. As a kind of
reminderto myself and my work, I glue a new (1 Riyal paper note currency)
under the keys of all pianos I completely service, and sign and date it.

I noticed a familiar odor, Umm, you know this one, rodent urine, and tell tale
(long rodent tail) signs of little brown elongated sesame sized mouse gifts,
what really was new in this service call, was I found little chewed up pieces
of paper money between the action brackets on the keybed.

My little cash conscious critter, had crewed up the paper from the glue
underneath my I "secret" identification place I suspect.

I always take "everything" out of any piano for complete servicing, and check
(tighten) everything. The new found benefit on this call was not only learning
my furry friend like my choice of glue ( I'll be changing my brand to one
hopefully less tasty) but I have always "very lightly" and carefully coated my
work with a bit a lacquer upon completionof inspections..

I noticed my friend had tried to nibble on one or two of the bridal tape and
wasn't happy with my "non-tasty gift" this appears to have prevented a great
deal of additional damage.

I lightly coat the Action, keybed, back of the keys, bottom board and internal
pedal assembly, with a sealer. I don't go soaking crazing with the stuff, and
generally roll the piano outside (for some fresh air, and cleaning in the
sunlight. I do not recommend this to technicians who are not familiar with the
risks of "overdoing a good thing"

You can damage < keytops, felts, on the action(dampers...) , balance and front
rail pins, and who knows what. I am comfortable with my knowledge and have
proof over and over again this improves my service. After 10 years, when I go
to one of my pianos for another cleaning(technical service) any and all dust,
or goodies, when removed bring me back to the "better than new condition" I
always strive for.

Additionally, it has been apparent that "properly performed, this procedure
has reduced the amount of shrinkage of parts) loosening of screws, and helped
to "stabilize" the content of moisture in the action and piano parts.

Oh...so how do it get the dust out, simple, I carry a nozzle for an air tank
in my kit.
It fits onto any "diving air tank" , available at any dive shop, I give my
friend 2.50(USD) for a tank that doesn't need to be full, it's my little
"portable" compressor, and good clean air!!. ( when I finish with it..well
hate to waist air that's not free) GO DIVING with the balance in the tank!!!

Gregory Fisher