You Thought ...

Leslie W Bartlett lesbart@juno.com
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 12:50:26 -0600

A young man, just accepted into Med school, has been a keyboard person
for my choir numerous times. He's quite advanced, an excellent
sight-reader, and a sensitive musician.  About a year ago he called me to
tune his piano at home. It was simply a POS!.. I was amazed.   Yet he
became a highly accomplished musician. How much better he would have
become is, of course, a matter of speculation, but I think he's reaching
his potential, even having grown up on a worthless instrument
IMHO
les barblett

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:55:16 EST Kgj38@AOL.COM writes:

><< Z!  I always point out that the kids who learn on these piano
>shaped
>objects
> do so in spite of the piano ,not because of it!!
> Mark Bolsius
> ---------- >>
>I am one of those kids that learned to play in spite of the instrument
>I had
>to practice on.  In fact, the first couple of years I didn't even have
>piano, just a tiny electronic chord organ with keys about 1/3 normal
>size.
>The whole thing could sit in my lap.  When I did get a piano, it cost
>$25, we
>had no idea it needed to be tuned, and our idea of "improving" it was
>applying
>an antiquing kit to the exterior.  Even then, I was my own piano
>"tech" fixing
>things with glue or whatever I could lay my hands on.  The point is:
>I Did
>learn how to play the piano, quite well actually.  However, I
>sometimes wonder
>at how good I could have been had my parents the income to furnish me
>with an
>adequate instrument and more than a couple of yrs of lessons with the
>pastor's
>wife.  I was one of those kids who would have learned inspite of any
>setbacks.
>I went on to major in music and teach part time at a small private
>college. In
>this day and age I am sure there are families who really cannot
>afford
>adequate instruments or instruction for their children.  What a shame.
>

>Karen Johnson
>Rochester, MN
>ptg associate

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]