Player piano sustain pedal problem

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:44:42 -0500

Dear List:
I usually avoid working on player pianos, but I got sucked into this one.
It is a Melodigrand upright player, with an apparently well rebuilt player
mechanism. New hammers were hung on the original shanks; otherwise the
action parts are original. Including the damper felt. I was planning on
CAGing the loose tuning pins, pitchraising 100 cents, repinning wobbling
Billings flanges, adjusting lost motion, and tweaking the sustain pedal
adjustment to stop the dampers' ringing. Everything but the last part went
well.

I *thought* the ringing dampers could be adjusted simply by putting some
lost motion in the pedal-sustain rod interface. I forgot that there's a
pneumatic control attached to the sustain rod ...
What's the proper adjustment for this setup?
TIA,
Patrick Draine