Exception or rule?

Mark Bolsius markbolsius@optusnet.com.au
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 17:19:10 +1100

Arlie, I suspect that you are discovering the general malaise many
manufacturers have at the lower end of the market.  While I'm not familiar
with the models you get in the 'states, there is a heap of models from some
highly respected makers that are either being assembled or even completely
manufactured in countries like Indonesia, China, Malaysia and even the
'states. And the quality is not nice!!

I am in an identical position as you in that I don't sell, and I now have to
recommend the products that are built in the source nation  ie if its a
Japanese company....buy the Japanese produced pianos, if it's a German
company.....buy the German produced pianos. This can at times be difficult
to workout... but it's worth the effort. Let's face it, when we make a
recommendation to a customer, our reputation is on the line each time!

I have been dissappointed by the overall quality of the lower end pianos
from both Kawai and Yamaha over the past few years. The pianos are being
pumped out at a price and they seem to cut corners wherever they
can........but by the same token their mid-range and high end pianos are
still very good....probably more along the lines of what you are remembering
in some of their older models.

What do other think about the possibility that digital pianos may replace
these low end pianos leaving the manufacturers producing only the higher end
real-pianos? I see it more and more in showrooms were people are being shown
el-cheapo uprights poorly set-up (because there's not enough in the margin
to do so) and then compare them to a reasonable digital and of course the
customer is astonished at how good these plug-in wonders are!