PTG question

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 08:55:18 -0700 (MST)

Hi Orlando:

The name of our organization is:The Piano Technicians Guild. This means
that an RPT member has been tested as a well rounded technician. He has
passed some basic tests which indicate that he can do most of the standard
repairs and regulations as well as being able to tune pianos to a certain
degree of accuracy. The RPT (Registered Piano Technician) rating is not
given until all three tests (Written, Technical, and Tuning) have been
passed with at least an 80% score in all phases of the tests.

You used the word certification in your post. The only place we use that
word is in the term "Certified Tuning Examiner". This is the only test
where taking classes and extensive training is required. This is not a
higher degree or rank but the added requirements are there to insure that
this person can give the exams fairly to all. CTE's are not allowed to in
any way imply that they are more excellent than others in the organization.
They may not advertise their certification to the public. They also may
not brag about their scores, this would be considered egocentric. To become
a CTE, one must take training classes, participate in all phases of giving
exams, pass a special written test, and be appointed by the PTG Board of
Directors. This category is one of service to others and not one of rank
above others.

Jim Coleman, Sr.