Viennese Action Pokorny

Robert Gagnon rgagnon@justintime.com
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 08:28:25 -0700

Hello Diane,

You might be interested that a Pokorny is actually for sale in
Denver for the low $20K range.  And I have included a link to it.

http://www.onofriopiano.com/bosendorfer__7.htm

Pokorny was a student of Bosendorfer.  During this time there were
over 200 piano makers in Vienna alone!

I played a 1885 Bosendorfer viennese action that sounded just fabulous.
The possible speed of repeatition was not as good as Steinway style
action.  I have heard that earlier viennese action didn't have this
attribute due to lighter hammers.

I would be interested in anyone's experience re: tone qualities of viennese
action pianos from 1840 to 1900 and when the various Austrian makers
starting
going from struts to full plates and whether and how strut style changed
(for
example to the "interlocking Bosendorfer" style.  Also when Bosendorder
went from straight to over-strung.  And if the mid-1800 pianos could hold a
tune
well.  Etc.

Thanks and looking forward to hear any comments.

Robert Gagnon
San Francisco