Baldwin Action Problem

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 22:47:44 -0700 (MST)

Hi Paul again:

The reason for the pressure on the ball bolts is to stabilize the action
so that when you depress the sustain pedal, you will not get squeeks at
the ball bolts. OK, so maybe so action installer went overboard with the
pressure, just don't you go underboard or you'll be sorry. In the four
years I worked for the Baldwin factory, I never found an action bolt which
I could not remove and reinstall.

If you do lower the bolts, watch your hammer alignment which will move to
the left of the Bass strings and to the right of the Tenor strings. The
same thing happens with the dampers. The problem will be greater for the
hammers, because there is not much clearance from note to note anyway.

Jim Coleman, Sr.