Help on preparation for the written test

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 03:21:51 EDT

In a message dated 7/19/99 1:35:23 AM EST, pryan22@bellsouth.net writes:

<< 5.  To check sluggish action in a vertical, one should depress the right
pedal.
 (True?)  (why?)>>

Hi Phil,

I have given the written Exam many times.  All of your answers were correct.
In the above question, you ask "why" and the reason is that the damper lever
is held against the string by a relatively strong spring.  If there is some
*marginally* high friction in the action somewhere, such as a tight hammer or
wippen center pin, the strength of the spring itself may be enough to
overcome that resistance so the problem will not be apparent.

  Engaging the damper (right) pedal however takes the damper function out of
the picture.  This is why you may have a complaint from a customer that
states, "Some of the keys "stick" when I use the pedal".  Depressing the
damper pedal is therefore a good and effective way of exposing such a problem.

 <<10.  To center the jack in a grand repetition lever, the best way is to
bend the
 center pin by tapping the jack  with a hammer.  (True)>>

This is my favorite question.  The right answer almost sounds absurd, doesn't
it?  You wouldn't think the right answer would be to *bend* something by
hitting it with a *hammer*, would you?  Especially something as fine and
delicate as a jack center pin!  You could easily be fooled by one of the
incorrect answers such as to "file a little off the side of the jack" (which
would, in fact, get a rubbing jack to work freely).

<< Thanks for you kind people who take time to check my quiz.  Hope I can buy
you a
 cup of coffee in K.C.   You'll know me by my big smile after having passed
the
 test.>>

I was more than pleased to be able to answer your questions.  Unfortunately,
I will not be at the Convention this year.  Good luck on the Exam, I think
you will probably pass.

<< My goal is to take the tuning exam next year at the convention.  Does
anyone know
 where next year's convention is being held?>>

I believe the location is Salt Lake City, Utah but don't hold me to it.  You
will be able to confirm that at the Convention itself, just ask any of the
Home Office people.

Have a good one,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin