9/8 Keyboard!

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 19:28:14 -0700

Wallace Scherer wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Just as some people have small hands that won't fit the standard keyboard,
> others have extra large hands. I remember trying to teach some whose
> fingers wouldn't fit between the sharps. Made playing some chords
> practically impossible. Tremendous reach though!
>
> Why doesn't someone build some 9/8 keyboards too!

My fingers being on the large side, I sometimes have to turn my hand a
little to the side to play a G or A in the middle of a chord. You might
be able to expand the keyboard a little, cheek blocks permitting, but I
don't think that would buy much space. Might be better to slim down the
sharps and increase the interstitial widths of D, G, and A. I envision
sharps with slightly narrowed tops and vertical sides. To accomodate the
front bushings, the sharp keysticks would need to broaden back out
toward the bottom.

Now, if keybeds were only an inch or so higher so that I could put my
knees under.

Tom
--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT