Split pin block

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 18:52:43 EDT

In a message dated 6/3/99 6:36:18 PM !!!First Boot!!!, ulrich@rangenet.com
writes:

<< I've been following the threads on ca adhesive ILO pin tightener. On those
occasions when I needed to dope an upright in the past, I've been happy with
Garfield's (from Schaff), so I haven't saved these posts.  Problem came up
this morning tho on a 1943 Acrosonic studio with _has_ to be a crack in the
pin block in the bass section. Will the ca glue help here, or is the
instrument beyond repair? Thanks.

 Roy F. Ulrich
 Pike Piano, Inc.
 Virginia, MN >>

You can probably make the repair, but how many bottle of CA glue are you
willing to poor into the pin block before all the cracks are filled?

If you want to make a repair, I would recommend you get impact resin. You can
buy this stuff at a plastic store. It is used to repair crakes in plastic. It
is much less expensive, and will do the same thing.

Remove the pins in the area in which you think there is a crack. Fill the
holes about half way with impact resin, and drive in 00 size tuning pins. Let
the stuff dry for about 2 or 3 days. Remove the 00 pins, and repin with 000.
(You have to have the piano laying on its back for this.) The torque will not
feel the same as a wood pin block, but the pins will hold.

Willem Blees