Tuning Pin Hole Reamers

Walter216@AOL.COM Walter216@AOL.COM
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 10:04:43 EDT

For What It's Worth:

I agree with using .30 caliber rifle brushes on the holes, especially if
you're going from 2/0 to 3/0 pins.  (How is the torque now?  Are you
restringing because of low pin torque or aged strings?)  If pin torque is too
low, I would go to 4/0 pins & use a reamer, observing the cautions about
getting it too hot-ruins the block & the reamer...If possible, use a drill
press w/ adjustable angle base @ 700-900 rpm & Vortec bit cooler.  Better
yet, put a new block in the piano & save yourself the worries.  A new maple
blank is only $60 + a day's work to install.  I hate betting  $1500-1800 in
restringing work on an old piece of maple plywood.

Walter Connell
C & A Pianocraft
Dallas, TX