What's a greenhorn to do? Re: CD project

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 10:22:05 EDT

<<"It all boils down to the question, for us who are new here and want to
learn,... What would you have us to do?">>

<<"I wish I could convey my 'tone of voice' here, because I'm asking, not to
be sarcastic or indignant, but rather in sincerity, ...............">>

Brian;
 Your post came through very clear and "tone" of voice was evident, not to
worry.
 This entire thread of CD-ROM "20 years of the Journal" *probably* should
have been on ptg-l rather than pianotech. I didn't make that suggestion, and
won't, because it seems to be of such general interest and it is helpful to
get the non-members point of view. However I would not object that the thread
be moved there by some other parties suggestion.
  As to what do de newbie do?  Why just like most of the rest of us...learn
what you can, from who you can, when you can, and where you can. The piano
trade is open to all and there are many who will help new or old colleagues.
Pianotech is an invaluable resource that was not available to anyone just a
few short years ago but it ain't training.....that comes "hands on" and that
comes from doing the work, running into questions and seeking
answers.....this applies to 'all' newbie and experienced alike.
  Since factory positions are limited, apprenticeships virtually
non-existent, mentors hard to come by, it is tough but...........by the same
token the resources for learning and expanding your abilities have never been
greater.
  Take advantage of what resources you find and 'if' this CD-ROM is ever
published by all means take advantage of it too :-)
 Just keep in mind that 'all' on this list have either been where you are, or
are there now.
 My View.
Jim Bryant (FL)