Artist Bench Dilemma

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 23:14:26 -0700

I sold a couple of artist benches to piano teachers last year and both
of them have complained that they don't adjust high enough for their
cherubs. They only crank up to original bench height or a little less
(when the upholstery compresses). I spoke with Paul Jansen and found out
that he will custom make the legs 2 inches longer (but no longer than
that - too unstable, he says) and I was able to make a leg exchange on
one bench when it was new, which seems to have solved the problem.

The other teacher didn't call me at first and has been living with it by
shimming each student with an appropriate number of pads (Suzie is 3
shims, Johnny is 4 shims, etc.). She even has noted the number of pads
on each students card. I thought her solution was creative - pad
adjustment is a lot quicker than bench adjustment and the pads protect
the vinyl upholstery.

But today when I tuned her piano, she said she wants something better.
When she plays her own piano, she needs one pad to be sitting at the
right height and some of her students need more than 2 inches of boost.
We discussed some possibilities, including a Bosendorfer bench, but came
to nothing conclusive. I told her that I would give it some thought.
Anyone have any ideas?

Tom
--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT