?extra concert maintance&string?

Rob & Karen Loomis rkloomis@shaysnet.com
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 11:56:30 -0400

I believe that a restringing after a decade or so may be a good idea.
The breakage of one string would not push me to this decision though.
[That particular string may have seen some unusual metal fatigue at the
time of stringing.]

Questions:
    What shape is the soundboard in? Cracks, crown, rib / soundboard
attachment?
    What shape are the bridges in? Cracks in the cap, loose bridge pins,
notches where the wood of the notch contacts the string past the center
of the bridge pin?
    What shape is the capo bar / agraffes in? Are there top string
buzzes?
    What is the bearing over the abridge like?

    My opinion is that 400+ tunings would not necessitate a restringing
and that the improvement in tone supplied purely by new strings would
not justify that restringing, but that if these other factors have
fallen from the standards the engineers of the piano envisioned, then it
is time to resting and the piano and the artists playing on it would
benefit from these factors. From the institution's point of view, they
would be maintaining the value of the instrument.

    Another tool that I believe would help maintain the condition of the
piano would be a floor length cover.

Rob Loomis, RPT