Teflon thingees help

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 13:25:35 EST

Del, David, Ken, Jim, List:

Based on David's post, we might solve the problem if we all moved to the Bay
area!  Even in southern California we get climatic extremes - especially the
"Santa Ana" winds - and their milder and more sustained high pressure systems
which keep the air between 5% and 30%RH.   For whatever reasons, the teflon
actions I run across have plenty of clicks and oval bushings.

I think that the rolled pin technique continues to survive throughout the
country - endorsed by the Steinway manual - and somehow there needs to be a
journal article or tech post which gently lays this, and the other myths, to
rest - and provides us all with a reference, complete with a discussion of the
problematic service techniques.   One of the key elements to Del's post is
that we actually cut the teflon with a many-fluted reamer - no filing or
burnishing.   The bushing surface should be smoothly cut.

 I have NOT been satisfied with the results I obtained with my reamers - and
Del clearly explained why - mine are single fluted!  I obtained them back in
1990 from Johnson Carbide  (Steinway referred me to Johnson Carbide).  Any
Journal discussion might include the source of Del's 6 fluted reamers
(probably Johnson...)   If I remember right, I was trying to get double-fluted
reamers at the time - and Del's post refers to any reamer less than 4 flutes
as inadequate.

My Steinway Technical Reference manual also refers to a four-fluted reamer.
But it has a few things which might be changed:  the graduation of the reamers
should be .0005",  not .005" (two graduations per .001").  Also, it considers
rolling a centerpin in a file acceptable.   Is this because Steinway knows
that many technicians will not spend the $ for a set of reamers, and a
centerpin rolled on a file is better than tapered tools?

I still have questions about the durability of the teflon vs. cloth, but what
seems to have become clear is that there continues to be vast misunderstanding
about service techniques and performance/durability expectations regarding
teflon bushings - and Del's post helps to get us out of the mud.

I hope that what Del has said gets into the Journal prominently.   Even if we
may not all completely agree on teflon bushings,  his contribution could
significantly improve the service level of those teflon-bushed actions.
Thanks, Del.

Bill Shull

<< As I recall clicking problems were often caused by the factory
 reaming one side of a bushing, i.e. pushing the pin out enough
 to ream the empty side then pushing the pin back in.  The
 swing or gram test was fine because one side was too loose
 and the other tight=click down the road.  I have used Don's
 reamers with some success but teflon is slow to react
 compared to cloth.  I believe you are suppose to roll center
 pins between files and put them in pin vises?  Here in  >>