Renner

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@NAU.EDU
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 10:13:45 -0700

David ilvedson wrote:

> List,
>
> I am replacing NY Steinway (teflon) shanks & flanges with
> Renner.

Excellent choice.

> From the Renner kit I can see that the flange is a lot
> thinner than the NY flange.  Is this going to compress the
> action spread enough that I should shim with veneer or such?

No.

> This action has tons of lead in it but the action is too light.
> My objective is to remove a lead or two.  Should I remove one
> furthest from the balance rail or two nearest the balance rail?

Maybe. maybe not.  Wait until the action rebuilding is finished, then
weigh it off and decide.  Be sure to consider your hammer weight.  It
could mean the difference between black and white as far as key weight
goes.  Personally I prefere Abel, (available from Wally Brooks).

> Of all the Renner shank possiblilities I like the Hamburg best.
> Renner in their literature doesn't recommend it because of
> regulation problems.  It seems to regulate OK.  Any ideas
> where I might have problems?

I would recommend using the Renner shanks designed for the New York S&S,
NOT the German S&S.  That is what they are designed for and will give
the best results.  If this is why you are questioning flange thickness
then there you go.  Send them back and re-order the correct New York
ones.

> Thanks in advance

Your welcome.

Rob Goodale, RPT