coils/pins, was sloppy restringing

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Mon, 3 May 1999 07:23:29 -0400

Jim wrote:  tight beckets are assumed, as are firm pins, for discussion
purposes.

Absoloutely!  I didn't even touch that one, but yes, I've even seen new
pianos with beckets way out of the holes.  I'm rather fascinated to hear the
string pitch lower as I push them the rest of the way into the hole.  Good
point.

Jim wrote:  Perhaps this is what you
>meant when you said "appropiate level".

 (See Jim's post if you haven't already.  A good lesson.  Excelent dialog on
a number or factors I was too tired to even delve into.)  You're right
again, Jim.  I looked at that phrase for quite a while trying to figure out
just how to say it in just a few words.  Thanks for picking up on it and
completing the thoughts.

Jim wrote:   You might say..."Well then what 'do' we do?"  The answer is
"the very best
>we can".

Thank you Jim.  That's what I was getting at.  The best I can.  Perhaps I
can't make all of the different components come together perfectly.  (That's
one of the things I meant when saying that my restringing jobs never come
out perfectly.)  But you explained it much more thoroughly.  I do beleive
that when we are indeed mindful of the various components of a _good_
restinging job, we are much more likely to come close to our objective and
most likely have a nice looking job as well.

Thanks for the good discussion.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, Pa.