grey market?

Jay Mercier jaymercier@hotmail.com
Mon, 03 May 1999 20:54:51 PDT

I don't completely understand the term "grey market pianos."  Is it
referring to any piano sold from a wholesale warehouse?  I was recently
asked to find a "decent piano" for an older lady who wanted to donate it to
the local retirement home.  To make a long story short, I ended up with a
1990 Kawai CA-40 Grand, purchased through a local dealer who purchased it
from a dealer in Chicago.  It was listed with hundreds of pianos out of the
Chicago dealer, but shipped from California.  Took 3 weeks to ship to the
local dealer  - they didn't touch it - and immediately delivered it to the
retirement home.  I was a bit nervous but to my amazement this "A" listing
of a piano impressed me.  Absolutely flawless for about $11,000.  It needed
no regulation and I told the home that the tuning could wait for a month.
The local dealer mentioned that he too was surprised on the condition and
said it arrived in better shape than some of his new YC's and Webbers.  This
piano had not one flaw that I could see ------- Now.......is this a grey
market piano?

Jay Mercier
Piano Technician