Currier pianos

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Thu, 06 May 1999 20:46:29 -0700

> Greetings, List.>> I have tuned several Curriers (2 spinets, 1
console) in the past week. They may qualify as PSOs. I made them sound
better, but > they still did not sound all that good when I was
finished. The unisons had no beat in them, but there was a "waver" or
something (I > don't know just how to describe it) that I could not tune
out.  Is it possible to make a Currier sound "good", or must we be
satisfied > with "better"? If it is possible for them to sound good,
what is the secret

I have found that the best way to make these things sound good is not to
play them...

Okay, okay.

My suggestions:

1. Pull the action
2. Tap the strings to the bridges
3. Replace the action
4. Check the hammers for hardness (I have found many of these way too
soft, thus terrible tone/partials)
5. Check the strike point and adjust as needed, (via the keybed action
support bolts.
6. If the above doesn't work find a politically correct way to tell the
client to buy a new piano.

Best of luck.

Rob Goodale, RPT
"Lost Wages", Nevada