Rendering, et al

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sun, 9 May 1999 15:27:49 EDT

<<"Buffing the holes out doesn't predictably shape the termination point, yet
you
report that it takes care of the pop/ping.">>

 Well I can see how it can be read that way and I apologize for the confusion
what I "should" have said was

""It seems like Ron O's answer of agraffe hole shape should be the (answer to
this) problem...reshaping agraffe holes does *help*. I have found that using
'abrasive cord' in a shoe shine fashion through the holes eliminates this
problem.""

 What I was referring to was the numerous steps of hole reshaping and not
needfully the "squeaking" problem although that is why the holes are reshaped
anyway.............there, have I muddied it more? :-)

<<" That being the case, I'm leaning toward the probability of a surface
contaminant (oxidation, or whatever) in the hole, which is cleaned off by
buffing or reshaping.">>
  One of lifes paradoxes is that two shiny sirfaces will slide easier across
each other but "squeak" more than two less "shiny" surfaces............... I
don't advocate buffing as in making the hole shiny, rather buffing as in
shoeshine fashion for a 'few' (as in two or three) short strokes.  I agree
that the "contaminant" problem plays a role in "squeaking" problems.

<<"I was just looking for education after the fact.">>
  Isn't this when we all look for it? :-))

Finally........I 'have' had agraffes "squeak" even after cleaning the holes
and therefore I can't discount the metal in the agraffe as being the cause,
as Jim C. suggested it might be.
JIm Bryant (FL) aka Squeaky