Rudolph Steiner's Pitch A432

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sun, 09 May 1999 22:34:25 +0200

Phil Bondi wrote:

> I recently tuned for a Russian Pianist who required 442 if this adds to the
> confusion..?!?!?
>
> Rook

Actually, outside of America, 442 seems to be just about as usual as 440. I
have even been requested to tune concerts at 444. Lots of Jazz pianist require
442 in their contracts. Seems like there is some historical tendency to speed
things up. At the turn of the century we were at 432 - 436 area. The meantone
temperament was still big, and the preference for slowly beating intervals
still going strong, Tuning A at a higher frequency means also speeding up the
beat rate of all intervals. Faster beating intervals have been called by some
as "exciting", "hectic" etc. Perhaps the collective human ear is out after
something ???

Richard Brekne
Sydneskleiven 1
5010 Bergen, Norway