Why?

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Tue, 11 May 99 23:16:37 +1000

Clarke and all,

Percentage of the breaking strain variation (adjacent to the bar) between
treble sections also contributes to tuning instability.

In 1992 we rebuilt a circa 1962 Steinway D with a rescaled treble. The
the breaking strain percentage was evenly graduated from C88 to F21. We
made no string length compromise as the bridge crossed under the frame
bars (The bridge cap width was widened towards the bars - but not at its
contact with the sound board - to accommodate the graduated string
lengths). This piano is in service in the same concert hall as another
Hamburg D (also rebuilt, but with a standard scale). Both instruments
have similar down bearing settings. The tuning stability of the evened
breaking strain scale is definitely superior (it is also easier to tune
since the inharmonicity is more even - none of the usual problems laying
an accurate temperement).

Ron E. Overs

Email: sec@overspianos.com.au
Website: www.overspianos.com.au