Do Steinways appreciate?

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Mon, 24 May 1999 21:36:29 -0700 (MST)

Hi Wim:

Yes Steinways do appreciate, but not on a straight line method. I bought
my L for $3700 in 1952. I could not have sold it for $4000 the next
year. It is now worth $12000 on the open market in its
present condition. If I were to rebuild it completely, it would bring
around $20000 in our area. If you do the math, you'll see that it's not
10% per year. However, it is still more than any other piano would
appreciate. This is mostly inflation and is not worthy of investment
purposes. Some salesmen will say anything it appears.

Jim Coleman, Sr.