longitudinal mode vibrations

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Mon, 24 May 1999 22:15:07 -0700

List,

What is the relationship, if any, between string torque and longitudinal
mode vibrations?  When there is torque in the string, I presume there is
torsional movement, and my guess is that it would be longitudinal.
Would torque affect the amplitude of longitudinal vibrations that might
otherwise occur anyway?  Would lack of torque eliminate or minimize
longitudinal vibrations?  Could it affect such vibrations in other
ways?  I would be interested to hear some thoughts on this.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA