A Memorial

Sy Zabrocki only4zab@imt.net
Sat, 29 May 1999 23:05:46 -0600

List:
On this Memorial Day I will again remember my customer Peggy who died on the
very day I tuned her piano. Peggy was a widow lady, about 60, who faithfully
had her old upright tuned every year.

On this morning Peggy did not greet me at the door. The house was full of
people and I wondered what was going on. At the piano some adults and
children gathered around to watch me. I even gave them a demo on how pianos
are made and tuned. It was then that one of the daughters told me the story.
The relatives had traveled in from far away places because Peggy was
terminially ill with cancer.

Some of the grandchildren were studying their piano lessons so Peggy
insisted on having the piano tuned even under these circumstances.

Hospice people came to administer Peggy shots for pain and left. Other
vistors came and went--one was weeping. It was obvious Peggy was gravely
ill. They even invited me to go in and see her but I declined.

Peggy passed away that afternoon at 5 p.m. This happened in 1996.

The majority of people neglect their pianos, yet with Peggy it was almost
her dying wish to have the piano tuned. It takes all kinds to make a world.

Sy Zabrocki--Billings, MT