Soundboard

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 21:51:37 -0600

Matthew Todd wrote:

> Does a soundboard in grands and uprights consists of several planks of
> wood, or just one piece of wood the entire shape of the soundboard?
>
> Matthew

Sound boards are made from the "Klavier" tree that grows in the Felted
Forest.  There you will find HUGE trees with trunks nearly nine feet in
diameter.  These of course are used for concert pianos which is why such
pianos cost so much.  The smaller trees are more plentiful, typically
ranging from four foot trunks up to around seven foot trunks.  A dwarf
version of these trees, scientifically known as the "Acrosonicus", are
used for spinets.  Unfortunately the remainder of the Klavier tree has no
use and so it is left to rot.  This of course is of great distress to
environmentalists who sight pianos as being the primary cause of
deforestation in third world countries.  For this reason many Klavier
trees are now protected and have become illegal for export.  Fortunately
there are large stockpiles of "pre-ban Klavier".   In the future through
great scientific research we can expect sound boards to be available made
from ABS plastic and CA glue.

Oh... sorry, I was being sarcastic.  Just in that kind of mood this
week!   <;~)

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV