twisting bass strings (was "Samick warranty work")

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 07:21:48 -0800

Susan Kline wrote:

> I remember <grin> one evening, working on a tired old short grand with
> buzzing bass strings. I had about a dozen to deal with. I tried one, and it
> worked fine, with about a twist and a half. I went on to the others, and
> one after another didn't improve. I went back and did a couple of them
> over, twisting even further, and they got worse yet ....
>
> I had carefully checked the direction of the wrap for the first string, and
> then done the others the same way, AND THE FIRST ONE WAS A REPLACEMENT
> STRING. The wrap went the opposite direction from all the others.
>
> Susan

Susan,

No way to know for sure, but must have been a Tuners Supply string.  The
string maker there used to do his strings in the opposite direction from
everyone else.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA