Mock tuning test ??

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 00:15:33 EST

In a message dated 11/2/99 6:54:20 PM !!!First Boot!!!, btrout@desupernet.net
writes:

<< I have not taken the "test" yet, but have been wondering if there would be
a way for me to set up a mock tuning test for myself, just to see how it
goes, using this wonderful little computer and an otherwise unproductive
afternoon??

 I've had a number of people tell me I should just take the test, but I'm a
little shy. :-)  I'd like to get an unbiased idea of just where I am right
now before I inconvenience the tuning examiners.

 Any ideas?

 Thanks

 Brian Trout >>

To pass the tuning exam, you have to tune the middle two octaves by ear. You
can use a machine for the whole piano, but before you can do that, you have
to prove your aural ability in the middle two octaves.

So what you want to do is use one of your machines to tune the middle two
octaves, and then record the numbers for each note. Then untune the piano a
little, and tune those two octaves by ear. Next, measure your tuning, and
compare that with what the machine said.

For scoring, the exam gives you a one cent tolerance. Then for the
temperament octave, you are penalized 2.5 points for every cent you are off
beyond that tolerance. For the middle two octaves, you are penalized 1.5
points for every cent you are off.

This won't be as accurate as the tuning exam, but it will give you a pretty
good idea of how well you can tune. Give yourself an exam, and see how you
do. Let us know the results.

Good Luck.

Willem Blees