FAT FINGERS

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Thu, 04 Nov 1999 11:30:47 -0700 (MST)

Hi Tom:

Both Baldwin and Steinway began using slimmer sharp keys on their Concert
grands quite a number of years ago. I just tuned a Baldwin Concert grand
yesterday  which was made in the late 70s which had the narrower sharp keys.
My Baldwin SF10 has sharps that are .447" at the base and .392" near the
top. My newer Baldwin Acrosonic has sharps which are .455" at the base and
.392 near the top. I have measured old ebony sharps taken off of upright
pianos which measured .500 at the base and .418 near the top.

My fingers are also fat on the ends. I have to turn my middle finger
sideways to get it between F# and G# (which seem to be the tightest on
my Steinway L, circa 1952).

Jim Coleman, Sr.