FAT FINGERS

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 15:07:51 -0600

>Has anyone ever heard of slimming down the sharp keys to better
>accomodate pianists with "fat" fingers?...
>Tom Robinson...

Del Fandrich offered some fascinating information* back in 1998 on the
newsgroup  rec.music.makers.piano  that I saved for such moments as this.

Cudos to you, Del, for taking the time!

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild
USA

* Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 10:39:11 -0700
From: Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
Newsgroups: rec.music.makers.piano
Subject: Piano Key Headscales

...It is quite true, the spacing between the sharps on the piano keyboard does
vary...It is the result of the asymmetrical nature of the piano keyboard
headscale...

>From a piano builders perspective the octave starts at C and goes through
B.  In
this octave there are seven naturals and five sharps.  The sharps are laid out
in two separate groups (C# & D# and F#, G# & A#).  There is one natural key
between each of these sharps.  However, there are two naturals between D#
and F#
and another two naturals between A# and C#.  With this layout you come up with
two separate 'groups' of keys:  C through E (with 5 keys, 3 naturals and 2
sharps) and F through B (with 7 keys, 4 naturals and 3 sharps).  These two
groups must be arranged in a manner that the human fingers can reach all of
them
without too much trouble.  And, of course, there is this unfortunate
requirement
that the naturals all be of the same width.  So an arrangement has evolved that
does accommodate the requirements of the music, the human hand and the human
eye.

The width of the typical sharp is approximately 11.0 to 11.5 mm.  More on some
keysets but usually it is fairly close to 11.0 mm.  (There is also a gap of
approximately 1.5 to 1.6 mm on either side of each key -- this is the width of
the bandsaw blade used to cut the keys apart, plus a bit for sanding to make
them look pretty.)  Over the years it has been found that there needs to be a
minimum gap of about 15 to 16 mm between the sharps to allow space for the
various sizes and shapes of human fingers.  More would be nice, but to get more
space between F# & G# and between G# & A# would require moving F# further
to the
left and moving A# further to the right.  This would make the tail -- the tail
is the visible portion of the natural key that is located between the sharps --
of the F and B keysticks even thinner than they already are.  There does
need to
be some minimum width to maintain adequate key strength and stiffness.  The
width of the F and B tails are usually around 11.5 to 12 mm.  Much less
would be
stretching the limits of both key strength and stiffness.

For esthetic reasons it is common to try to make the width of the key tails as
uniform as possible.  In most keysets this means that the width of the B & F
tails are usually held to a minimum of approximately 11.5 to 12.0 mm and
the E &
C tails are a maximum of approximately 13.0 mm.  They are not identical, but
they are close enough so that they do not look awkward.  This leaves only the
tail of D as the oddball.  It is usually about 14.5 mm wide.  C# and D#
could be
moved closer together but then the tails of C and E would be even wider,
upsetting the visual balance of the keyset.  Since the eye compares the gap
between C# and D# with the gaps between A# & C# and D# & F# the wider space
between C# and D# does not look out of place....

Regards,

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Designer & Builder