Boston

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Fri, 05 Nov 1999 08:51:49 +0100

I spent almost two years sharing responsiblity for preping Boston grands and
uprights for Sherman Clay in Seattle with a couple RPTs there. I never came
across a similiar problem. We have one here at the university which sounds
really nice. The Steinway tech from Oslo did a superior job voicing this 7
footer for a small acoustically bright room. My experience with Boston is only
good, tho I understand several tuners have complained about tuning some of
them.

Perhaps this is climat related ? What are the humidity levels ? If its very dry
sometimes buzzing of all sorts can be a problem. Get somebody to play some of
the worst notes and start walking about the instrument poking here and there
with your fingers and ears and see if you can isolate the problem. Remember
also that buzzing often comes from light fixtures and wall heaters and other
such things placed in the room and that its sometimes baffeling to find out
that the buzz is actually not comeing from the piano but from one of these.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway