Method of removing grand backcheck wires.

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 06 Nov 1999 11:18:24 -0600

> Hi Doug,

                 Most grand back check wires will just 'punch out',  the pilot
hole is usually drilled right thro' the key stick.
Place the back check between the jaws of a vice and use a thin punch to pop
the
wire out from the bottom of the key. I use a 3" nail that has had the tip
ground square. It will not enlarge the hole, and the new checks with wires
will
fit nice and snug, with out having to resort to CA glue or epoxy.
Just another method.
Roger

> The procedure is as follows:
>
> First remove the action stack and position the key frame on the bench so the
> backchecks are closest to you.  Starting at on end, place your free hand on
> the balance rail section of the key to prevent it from riding up, then,
using
> a pair of end-cutting nippers ( I use Craftsman 7" #45326), grab the wire at
> the base where it protrudes from the key.  Nipper should be vertical with
> jaws resting on key.  Roll the nipper towards you about 1/2" (in
direction of
> the angle of the backcheck wire).  Then position the nippers to the starting
> point and repeat.  It takes about 8 to 10 slight rolls to remove the wire.
> This method doesn't require a lot of force.  The cam action of the jaws and
> the leverage of the 7" tool are doing all the work.  This is a gentle
rolling
> motion, so there shouldn't be any undue pressure on the key around the wire
> or the balance rail hole.
>
> Have fun.
>
> Doug Mahard, Associate

Roger Jolly