Smart Bar

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 07:13:17 -0500

Hi Dave,

On the 'Smart Bar' systems, there is a little box, about 1 1/2 in. X 3 in. X
1/4 in thick that has three lights on it, that gets mounted somewhere where
it can be seen.  One for power (is it plugged in?), one for water, and one
for pads.  The one for the water is in relation to a sensor that actually
sits in the water tank and relays back either 'yes, there's enough water in
the tank', or 'add water', light off, light on.  Pretty basic really.  The
light for the pads is relaying information back from the heater bar on the
humidifier tank.  On that bar, there are two exposed 'wires' running the
length of the bar, which are basically on the top of the bar, maybe 1/2 in.
apart.  The pads make contact with both of these 'wires', and provide the
system with an indication of whether there is really a pad there, and
perhaps to some measure, the condition of it,  probably through a continuity
reading, I'm not sure.  Just as an example, if the pads were to disintegrate
and fall off of the humidifier heater bar and there was still adequate water
in the tank, I think the water light would not be lit, but the pad light
would be.  The system would also shut off power to that heater bar so as not
to dehumidify, which is exactly what it's not supposed to do.  I think the
whole idea of the system being able to decide to shut off when it has a
problem (at least this problem), is the main reasoning behind the name
"Smart Bar".

It's just an added feature which gives out a little more information to the
person servicing it, and a small measure of safety to an unsuspecting or
forgetful owner.  After all, this is the information age... :-)

Have a good day,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net