Question: What's the difference?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 22:11:06 EST

In a message dated 11/9/99 1:09:53 AM !!!First Boot!!!, Bill Bremmer writes:

<< in a message dated 11/8/99 4:21:40 PM Pacific Standard Time, Willem wrote:

 << Even though we
  want a piano to be in tune, I think part of the "character" of a piano is
  when it is slightly out of tune. I think it adds a certain amount of warmth
  to the sound. And this is something that can never be duplicated
  electronically.  >>

 This is the warmth that comes from a temperament that is not equal.  Once
the
 temperament has had every bit of tonal distinction removed from it, a
quality
 that most people today look to as the state of perfection, it starts to
 resemble the sound you might expect from an electronic keyboard:  totally
 lifeless and uninteresting.

 Curiously enough however, not all electronic keyboards can be expected to be
 perfect either.  A friend of mine has one that actually has a good
 representation of a Well-Tempered Tuning.  Just last week, I happened upon
 one in a music classroom and decided to see if the temperament was really
 equal.  It wasn't.  Although the inequality was slight, it was the backwards
 version of a Well-Tempered Tuning that has come to be called, "Reverse Well".

 It makes virtually all music sound somewhat unfocused, disoriented and
 uninteresting yet it seems to be a very commonly made error.  I wonder why I
 am the only person who seems to notice this and also why virtually no one
 else seems to want to admit that it has ever been observed.  I hear it
 virtually everywhere I go and on the majority of pianos that I test for
 temperament accuracy.

Thanks, Bill for pointing this out. Like everyone else, I never bothered to
test the temperament of an electric keyboard.  But now that you have brought
it to our attention, maybe we can all learn from this. Aren't you proud of
yourself now?

 Why would the technicians who set up the scale of an electronic keyboard
 deliberately create a backwards version of a Historical Temperament rather
 than a true ET or a true HT?  If it was done in error, why was the error so
 consistent rather than being just at random?  I have a good theory on why
 aural tuners make the error but how an electronic keyboard temperament could
 end up being so perfectly backwards is beyond my understanding.

My theory is that the technician made an error. But he made the error in one
octave, which he then added to the other octaves. He then used the same
computer program to program all the other keyboards. And if one computer
technician did it wrong once, then all the others copied him. Am I right? I
am sure you will correct me if I am not.

Willem