How does CA cure?

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 22:04:13 -0800

Hi, Roger

>The 5 min it takes
>to slide the action out gives one heck of a safety factor. The thin CA can
>sure run where you don't want it. Don't ask, I may turn red. <g>

Sounds good to me! I can spare five minutes.

>You have made me a convert, but in this case we are after wicking and
>capillary attraction to get the job done, white glue would inhibit this.

No, don't worry, I wasn't about to use white glue on tuning pins! I was
just speaking in general, about the strength of bond with different kickers
(or with no kicker).

>... my finger was certainly deeply glued to my thumb! We
> >could really use some experimentation on bond strength with different
> >setting up methods.
>
>Sounds as if we have a similar set of fingers. <g> Chemistry is not my
>strong suit, it's nice to have the 2 applications for different conditions.

Yes, it's fun. Every time I use it, and it sticks like mad, I just grin.
Today I was checking on rubber buttons that I stuck in with the two glues a
couple of years ago. Still sticking like mad. It'll still take a long time
to figure out for sure how durable the bond is, but it's looking good so far.

>A little trick in applying the thin CA, save an empty bottle and buy some
>spare tips. Use only about an 1/8th full and it will not run all over the
>plate, and it will go where it is intended. Now that's the voice of
>experience, all bad. But I only did it once, honest.

Some experiences are so indelibly inscribed on one's brain that they need
not be repeated. For instance, the time the middle pedal didn't work, when
I hadn't realized it was bad.... some things one will never allow to happen
twice. I'm sure that CA is indissolubly wedded to plate gilding as soon as
it touches, too, just like it is to formica counter tops. (Only once,
honest!) <grin>

>Not to mention the string drag that it induces.

Several kinds of drag, I'm sure!

Susan

P.S. Just ordered one of the little artist benches from Elbow, Sask., up
around your neck of the woods.