Fw: Modulus of Elasticity

Liu lianqii@sy-public.ln.cninfo.net
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 21:19:25 +0800

Hi Wasson,

 Ten years ago,I did a test about the elasticity modulus of spruce,here is the average value of the "vibrational modulus of elasticity".

E(l)=7.854 GPa     E(t)=0.537 GPa
E(l) is the modulus along the grain(fibre),E(t) is the modulus across the grain, GPa = 10^9 Pa = 1,000,000,000 Newton/square meters.

"Vibrational modulus" is the modulus of elasticity at the vibration state.The value of "Vibrational modulus" should be a little smaller than that of the "steady modulus" because of the special characteristics of wood.

 As you know,the characteristics of wood varies a lot according to the kind of spruce, the way you cut the log,etc' .

The wood I tested is from north China,it's a little softer I think.So the modulus'value of the spruce you are using could be a little higher.

 Hope it helps!

Baoli Liu
Shenyang Conservatory of Music
China